Thursday, December 14, 2006

Quote of the day, 12/14/06

SUCCUBUS: I suppose you've never met a myth before.

GIRL: (Innocently). No. What can I do for you, myth?

SUCCUBUS: Behold my magnificence, for I am the dreaded Succubus!

GIRL: How can pure evil be embodied by such beauty?

SUCCUBUS: How much easier to lure you into my arms. Come, child.

GIRL: Vile thing, what right have you to demand my death?

SUCCUBUS: (Angrily) Do I not also have the right to life? As you need food and water so I need the pure unsullied blood of virgins.

GIRL: What proof of you of my maidenhead? What if I told you I was the village slut, a repository for every man's seed in Sodom?

SUCCUBUS: I'd say you were a big fat liar. Now get in that cave. I'm freezing my ass off in this draft.

GIRL: I'm afraid to die.

SUCCUBUS: (With great self pity) That's nothing to be afraid of. Think how much crueler my fate, never to die, condemned to immortality. The perennial witness to the eternal passing parade. My cave is quite the lonely one.

GIRL: Forgive me if I don't weep.

SUCCUBUS: A spitfire, eh. But why should you pity me? I'm a goddess. You look around and see the glamorous way I live. My slaves, my riches, my dishware. But try throwing a dinner party for two pinheads and a cyclops. True, I have caskets full of sparkling jewels but where the fuck can I wear them. My life stinks. The only enjoyment I get is a vestal virgin now and then but time goes on and I survive. And how, how you may wonder do I face the prospect of a millenium of time on my hands? What keeps me going is a sense of humor. I giggle, I chuckle, I even guffaw but inside I weep. It's the age old story, laugh, Succubus, laugh.


--Charles Busch, "Vampire Lesbians of Sodom"

6 comments:

idyllopus said...

The cobras in Rikki Tikki Tavi had kind of the same problem, but Joe Dallasandro hadn't any space in his self-serving heart for the troubles of the wealthy and thus the bloody French Revolution. Can't we all just get along? Excuse me, got "The Blob" to go watch and see what I can learn from it about class wars.

belledame222 said...

Really I see "Blob" as more commentary on the perils of too much corporate deregulation, and/or jello salad.

Anonymous said...

I didn't really think that Vampire Lesbians of Sodom was such an erudite movie, having never seen it. Guess I shouldn't judge a movie by its lurid, fratly title.

belledame222 said...

dunno if it's a movie. all's i know is it's a very campy play by Charles Busch.

belledame222 said...

(who of course played the Succubus in the original production).

fastlad said...

He's such a singular talent: "Laugh, Succubus, laugh..."