Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"Eight random things" meme

I know at least a few different people have tagged me with this one a zillion years ago, so, okay. while my brain is still on *ffssssssssss*

1) When I was a kid, I wanted to be, variously, Big Bird, a ballerina, a figure skater, a fairy princess, a paleontologist (for about five minutes, after a field trip) and--I shit you not--a "master baker."

2) The above came from a fairy tale I was particularly fond of, some 19th century or earlier Irish folktale. I told this to some adults and didn't figure out for -years- why this was funny, even though I knew what the Other Thing was. just didn't make the connection till..."Oh."

3) As a matter of fact, I spent so much time reading fairy tales and folktales and all that kind of shit that I talked like an Andrew Lang book, all archaic slang and Victorian purple. My second grade teacher asked my parents, "Do you...talk like this at home?"

4) I grew up with two little dogs, a West Highland White Terrier and a little white mutt. She was a lot more butch than he was.

5) I love swimming: pools, lakes, the ocean, water in general. Nothing feels more freeing, somehow.

6) My grandmother once told me she was "afraid of my big toe." I still don't know what it means.

7) (Although these days I'm not so fond of it myself; some horrible nail fungus you really don't need to know the details of. that wasn't true at the time, though).

8) I LOVE making lists, but for some reason I'm having real trouble with this one. and I don't think I'm terribly organized in general, just weird fits of compulsive compiling every so often.

I tag whomever the spirit moves.

4 comments:

Sassywho said...

i have super long toes, in fact i can write my name with them.

saltyfemme said...

"master baker" made me giggle. Yes, I am a 5-year old.

tonkelu said...

Re #5: I, too, love swimming. I really love to skinny dip though I'll only do it in a pool. It's deliciously freeing and I haven't done it in ages.

Jennifer Ewing said...

As a matter of fact, I spent so much time reading fairy tales and folktales and all that kind of shit that I talked like an Andrew Lang book, all archaic slang and Victorian purple.

I was exactly the same. I also read Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon at quite a young age (like, ten), which prompted requests to go and "pass water" whenever I needed the loo when we were out shopping, and awkward questions about "the moon dark bleeding". It also had a deplorable effect on my dress sense (I wasn't sure whether I wanted to be Morgaine or one of the Knights of the Round Table).

I also thought I was the princess of the "pays des jolies fleurs" (the country of pretty flowers) when I was about five.