Sunday, March 16, 2008

Yeah. That.

The bottom line, here, really, arcane internecine politics be damned.

Zan says:

The fact is, trans people do me no harm. They don't take anything away from me. Their existence does not endanger me in any way. The world is big enough and wide enough and wonderful enough for us all to share and have what we need. If I care about the abuse transpeople suffer, that doesn't mean I care less about the abuse cisgendered women suffer. It doesn't mean I care less about the abuse PoC suffer. It doesn't mean I care less about genocide in other countries, about the effect our pre-emptive war in Iraq is having on that country and our own, about global warming, about widespread drought, about medical research. My heart is big enough to care passionately about all of those things -- with room left over for more."


That's really the root of all this crap, isn't it? The deep-rooted belief that there's not enough to go around.

How anyone thinks they're going to overthrow the whatever Evil Empire it is this week and actually replace it with something better when they're still clutching this Elect vs. the Damned, Star-Bellied Sneetch crap, is beyond me. I guess "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" is good enough for most people as long as they're convinced they can be the new boss.

4 comments:

thene said...

Word. What I really don't get is...well, transpeople are comparatively rare; for most people, much of their life is their no-transfolk-here space. Why do they need more space without transfolk than there already is?

belledame222 said...

And of course these are the same people whinging about how everyone picks on poor, put-upon radical feminists (separatists, whatever it is this week) when they have no power, boo hoo.

of course, it's not transfolk, by and large, who simultaneously are convinced that they have the One True Path to Revolution; they just want to live their damn lives.

which is apparently completely unacceptable.

queen emily said...

*beams with pride*

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.