Sunday, July 09, 2006

"We were flat, but we were 'appy!"

Shootin' the breeze with fastlad and his partner yesterday; musing on the reactionary conservative mindset. Somehow it came to this:

"You should be thankful to be able to work in a cube! In my day we didn't have cubes! We didn't have floors! We didn't have ceilings! We had walls, and we were grateful for them! And we didn't go in for this newfangled 'third dimension.'" Two dimensions were good enough for my parents' generation, and they were good enough for mine! We were flat, but we were happy! In my grandfather's day they didn't even have that! All they had was lines! If they were lucky. My father's parents were infinitesimal points! You spend your childhood raised by an infinitesimal point, you'll be deeply appreciative of any parameters within a conceptual space that you can get!"

1 comment:

Hannah said...

This is hysterical! Passing it on to my partner, a Flatland fanatic....