Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Quote of the day, 1/2/07

MAX
Margo. You by any chance got bicarbonate of soda in the house?

MARGO
(sympathetic)
Poor Max. Heartburn?
(Max nods)
It's that Miss Caswell. I don't know why she doesn't give Addison heartburn.

BILL
No heart to burn.

MARGO
Everybody has a heart - except some people.
(she finishes her drink, stands up)
Of course I've got bicarb. There's a box in the pantry. We'll put your
name on it. Max Fabian. It'll say there. Always. Just for you.

MAX
(touched)
Let the rest of the world beat their brains out for a buck. It's friends that count. And I got friends.

MARGO
I love you, Max. I really mean it. I love you. Come to the pantry.

She takes off. ...

MAX
She loves me like a father. Also, she's loaded.

...


MARGO
Don't get up. And please stop acting as if I were the queen mother.

EVE
(hurt)
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-

BILL
(sharply)
Outside of a beehive, Margo, your behavior would hardly be considered either queenly or motherly!

MARGO
You're in a beehive, pal, didn't you know? We're all busy little bees, full of stings, making honey day and night-
(to Eve)
- aren't we, honey?



--"All About Eve"

8 comments:

little light said...

God, that's a great movie. I remember being shocked, when I first saw it, at how far ahead of its time it was.

Also, as a bonus, Marilyn Monroe's cameo is hilarious.

belledame222 said...

I've been meaning to do a longer post on it. hopefully within the next few days. (note to self: sign up for classes FIRST, get started on applications FIRST...)

CrackerLilo said...

I forgot all about that movie. Maybe I should watch it again.

Happy New Year!

fastlad said...

May the worm of conscience still begnaw thy soul. Makest thou thy applications or I'l belabor thee about thy skull, I'll unhair thy head, I'll chide thee and etc etc...

Eli said...

"You are too short for that gesture."

belledame222 said...

"Margo, you were an enchanting Peter Pan; you must play it again soon."

--every damn line is a quotable gem, practically...

Plain(s)feminist said...

My favorite is, "fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

I love that movie.

Anonymous said...

Good thing I didn't write the script:

MARGO
(sympathetic)
Poor Max. Heartburn?

MAX
No thanks, I already have some.

(laugh track)