Thursday, April 09, 2009

Okay, there's some kind of Universal Principle Of Something here, just can't quite name it yet.

Am belatedly zeroing in on the comments of a random troll Queen Emily had and was later mocking, because, well...look at this:

I really would rather be the loneliest person in the world than adapt my opinions (which you missed, by the way) in order to have friends. Fair weather friends, and those who demand compliance to some view before they will be "friends" are such a waste of time, wouldn't you agree? I'd rather have enemies than friends like that. At least with enemies, you know someone hates you. With friends who demand some adherence to a principle, you have no way of knowing where their loyalty and friendship lie. Such a lonely existence. Friends! Who cares if I do or don't? At least my friends aren't required to pass an ideological test!


I really would rather be the loneliest person in the world than adapt my opinions (which you missed, by the way).

Ayn Rand, is that you? Camille? Bueller? no, not that...

Dear Person(s): "adapting your opinions" is part of -life.- There's a fine line between "being true to oneself" and "being so ego-invested that the slightest hint of the gentlest disagreement threatens the entire fragile structure." Bless your heart.

It is an excellent distillation of the crucial ingredient in 90% of arguments (on the Internets and elsewhere) that have put these fine permanent dents in my forehead, though, so thank you.

3 comments:

Comrade PhysioProf said...

There's a fine line between "being true to oneself" and "being so ego-invested that the slightest hint of the gentlest disagreement threatens the entire fragile structure."

Belledame, that is motherfucking brilliant! I am so going to use that.

queen emily said...

Fragile is the word, yes.

You disagree with me? You insult mah country, mah woman, and Civilisation Itself.

en garde!

Aster said...

Belledame-

I don't understand the context of the original discussion, and I certainly don't believe that it's a virtue to be inconsiderate when expressing one's ideas. But I do think it is virtuous to keep to one's best judgement of reality even if other people think differently. A great deal of feminism has always rightly involved fighting the social pressure upon women to devalue their own views and insights... to keep the (oppressor's) peace at the expense of one's own integrity.

I've learned from Rand and Paglia, altho' I think there's much to be criticised in both writers. I like the individualism; I don't like the reactionary classism.

It's very amusing to see Camille addressed by her first name. If she happened to be christened 'Camille', then it's either in remarkable coincidence with her character ro a sign of a rather unconventional upbringing. The designation fits her perfectly.