Saturday, October 07, 2006

Quote of the day: 10/7/06


I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I watered it in fears
Night and morning with my tears,
And I sunned it with smiles
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright,
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine -

And into my garden stole
When the night had veiled the pole;
In the morning, glad, I see
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.


--William Blake

5 comments:

J. Goff said...

My favorite William Blake:

Eternity

He who binds to himself a joy
Doth the wingéd life destroy,
but he who kisses the joy as it flies
Lives in Eternity's sunrise.


Always gives me hope and makes me feel the joy in being simply myself. Blake was a curious character.

belledame222 said...

He was indeed.

just got a bio/deconstruction of him (life & works) from the used bookstore. it is on the pile of 81,000 books i've yet to finish or even crack open.

i'm such a book 'ho

Hahni said...

From an old poem by I-don't-know-who, but these lines have always stuck with me:

He laughed derision when his foes
About him cast each man a stone;
A friend in anger flung a rose
And all the city heard his groan.

Bamboo Lemur Boys Are Mean To Their Girls said...

How dangerous the world would be if it were that simple.

Miss you. When's the next meet up, my friend?

belledame222 said...

soon! wanna go to the burlesque thingie next week, maybe?

and we need another interstate get-together of cawse. up to Kristin and antip, that. i'm pretty easy. may be schlepping out to the folks (who do not drive me at ALL crazy. no) in CA for my granny's 85th in a couple weeks, but that wouldn't be for long.