Monday, November 13, 2006

Quote of the day: 11/13/06

JACQUES: Why, 'tis good to be sad and say nothing.

ROSALIND: Why then, 'tis good to be a post.

JACQUES: I have neither the scholar's melancholy, which is emulation; nor the musician's, which is fantastical; nor the courtier's, which is proud; nor the soldier's, which is ambitious; nor the lawyer's, which is politic; nor the lady's, which is nice; nor the lover's, which is all of these; but it is a melancholy of my own, compounded of many simples, extracted of many objects, and indeed the sundry contemplation of my travels, which, by often rumination, wraps me in a most humorous sadness.

ROSALIND: A traveller! By my faith, you have great reason to be sad. I fear you have sold your own lands to see other men's. Then to have seen much and to have nothing is to have rich eyes and poor hands.

JACQUES: Yes, I have gained my experience.

ROSALIND: And your experience makes you sad. I had rather have a fool to make me merry than experience to make me sad: and to travel for it too.

--Shakespeare, "As You Like It"

5 comments:

Rootietoot said...

BD- Inspite of my frequent ham-handedness, I really like you. We don't think along the same lines most of the time, but you are an interesting and engaging personality, and if you talk like you write, probably a tremendous amount of fun to be around.

Dan L-K said...

Ah, nostalgia! A dozen years ago, I had the pleasure of playing Touchstone (as a kind of mad Groucho Marx/Charlie Chaplin hybrid) in a delightfully wacky community theatre production of As You - in fact, I'm almost certain I still have my bowler and cane around somewhere.

It's such a very silly and lightweight play, and yet there's still all these little gems in it.

belledame222 said...

cheers, rt, I like you too. obviously.

Dan: awesome.

am now eagerly waiting for fastlad to come around and explain how it's not silly and lightweight at all, or i fully expect him to...

fastlad said...

I can't sufficiently express how much fun she is to be around. The wisest, the kindest, the canniest of them all.

And I'm not taking her bait.

belledame222 said...

oh c'mon. you knooooowww you waaaannnt toooooo...

no, seriously, i'm not gonna argue with you if you do; i wanted to read what you have to say about it; i know that play's important to you.