Tuesday, November 28, 2006

So, I made a new friend, and find.

On the way home, decided to take a chance and go into that new little restaurant on the main drag, partly because there's a review on the window which makes it sound like maybe it -is- better than the usual around here, partly because i really shouldn't be eating fast food yet -again,- as i'd been planning.

the chef-owner comes out. "oh, is this your first time here? Welcome! I hope you make a home here!" Ordinarily that'd be coming on a bit strong for my tastes, but somehow, it was okay. Warm, pleasant. I ordered the special.

As I'm waiting, an older man hails the owner, from outside; he goes out to meet him, they embrace. Congratulations on the new paint job. The man comes and sits at the table next to me.

I didn't really get started talking to him till i'd almost finished my meal; somehow, though, somewhere in there we ended up chatting away like the best of friends...

yeah, I was gonna tell this one in more detail, but you know, sometimes you just want to let it sit for a while. to cut it short, then: it was kind of lovely. sweet, smart, interesting guy. an actual neighborhood place, with other regulars. i mean, they're there, around here, i just hadn't really found myself at home at any of them; for one thing, as we were agreeing, the food around here is, by and large, -really- not good.

but it's always been that sort of place, my current 'hood: neighborly, really.

next time i bitch about New York (we also talked a lot about that, and compare-contrast with other cities, Boston, say), I'll remember this, one of many reasons why i -do- also love it here, and want to stay, at least for a while.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bitch about New York -- it's the best city. Bad food? You either live in the theatre district or near Port Authority.

You want some good stuff and cheap -- you ask AG and she'll help. At the very least, you gotta love Gray Papaya!

belledame222 said...

I live in Queens, AG. and yes, there are many neighborhoods here full of fab food--Flushing, for Chinese, for a start--but much as i love it in other respects, this ain't one of 'em.

are you in Manhattan, then, AG?

i like Grey's once in a blue moon. not my fast food o' choice though, generally.

Renegade Evolution said...

to quote Mr. Evolution, native o' Brooklyn...

New Yorkers are not mean. They are just abrupt.

Best Chinese food I ever had was in NY, but I cannot recall the name of the place.

belledame222 said...

oh hell no, not mean.

there was this Callahan cartoon which my mom (native New Yorker, now living in Southern CA, where i grew up) loved:

split screen, L.A. and New York.


in L.A., person says to another, "Have a nice day!"

but the thought balloon above his head reads, "Fuck you!

and in the New York one, someone's yelling, "Fuck you!"

and the thought balloon says, "Have a nice day."

there is a lot of truth to this, i feel.

elle said...

glad you discovered the new friend. and the find.

speaking of NY, why does the word verification begin with jayz (jay z)?

Howard said...

Wow, I love stories like this. And, please, let it stew, but tell us eventually.

Frank Partisan said...

I'm a coffeeshop guy. Find a good indy coffeeshop.

antiprincess said...

this reminds me of a post you did about meeting a woman while eating at a chinese restaurant a while ago.

belledame222 said...

it's in the sidebar, "So, let's have lunch." (wasn't Chinese, but now that sounds good...)

rey said...

Do they have brunch? We should go...

belledame222 said...

oh, they do! on Sundays. maybe Saturdays too.

actually i was thinking we should really all go for Indian, one of these days.

rey said...

Either. Both. All of it!

belledame222 said...

yay!

greymatters said...

I envy you your city, even though I love mine for many of the same reasons that you seem to love yours.

Appropriate to absolutely nothing (really, other than the tangential), the best Chinese food I've found in my wanderings was in Philadelphia.

belledame222 said...

No kidding?

Flushing's like going to another city--Hong Kong, say, maybe Taipan (never been there).

i want dim sum now. or noodles. or ma po tofu, it's that kind of day.