Sunday, March 25, 2007

Per "feminine," and bad moods, more or less

Catching up after being on retreat for several days. I did not read the latest femisphere thrashes, which I am now reading about second and third hand on my beloved friends' blogs. I will not read the OP, because I have taken the pledge, and also it honestly sounds really boring. Per the definition of femininity and suchlike, I will simply say this:

Spend the weekend sharing space with, among others, a gaggle of Radical Faeries. About forty men (and a few biogirls, and one probably-TG/genderqueer person who quite literally flits like hir namesake bird), most of 'em with long beards and quite hirsute, singing and drumming and ballet dancing and doing Martha Graham impersonations and wearing lipstick and codpieces and platform heels and glitter and ginormous hats shaped like limes. It gives one a certain sense of...perspective. Also, they're fucking awesome.

as were the women I was primarily on retreat with. and by the way, ritualized group gropes and getting the shit beaten out of you can in fact be astonishingly therapeutic and deeply communal. spiritual, even. just saying.

" There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy..."

10 comments:

antiprincess said...

body electric?

talk about a glass of perspective and a peer group...

belledame222 said...

no, not Body Electric--did I talk to you about that? you know them? but someone I know through BE was running it, and held at one of the places I've attended BE workshops.

Trinity said...

Belle: Not sure if you saw it, or if you want a link or not, but I posted about femme boys as well. :)

"getting the shit beaten out of you can in fact be astonishingly therapeutic"

Phew, did it just get warm in here or is that just the continuing Nice Weekend? :)

Rosie said...

I love the Rad Faeries. They are like the Ballet Trocks gone camping. In the woods.

Sounds like a great retreat...just the sort of thing I would love.

Cassandra Says said...

Yay for perspective. Now if only more people would get themselves some...
We missed you!

Alon Levy said...

OP means offending post, right?

little light said...

Trin, once again, beats me.
Uh, to it.
I mean, the point.

About your post.

I'll be in my bunk.

Central Content Publisher said...

Ah ha! So you're a Pagan. I thought you seemed to bare the marks.

I haven't gone to a Pagan fest or the equivalent in quite a while. Some good memories, some bad. Mostly I wish more people had helped clean while talking less about their spiritual rebirth.

But hey, I'm a misanthropist anyway, so, ya know.

belledame222 said...

heh. yeah, people tend to not be so hot with the more um pragmatics, sometimes.

this wasn't really a fest so much as a small workshop (the one i was attending) with a total of seven women, hosted at a gay men's intentional community that also serves as a retreat center. It just so happened that about 40 Radical Faeries were there at the same time, planning their own upcoming fest. nominally it was a work weekend for 'em, tho', i think. nominally.

Central Content Publisher said...

Small is good.