Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Quote of the day, 3/7/07

And yeah, I could identify myself as poor. I could identify myself as bi. I could point out that fact that my grandfather changed the family name so that we wouldn’t get the anti-Polish crap that was floating around the area at the time. I could point out that I’m closer to my immigrant roots than the people who insist that anything I might say about illegal immigration comes from a hatred of immigrants. I could identify myself as a lot of things and point out even more so that I can escape this label. And I could refuse to do that just to prove the point that a cookie cutter is still a cookie cutter. No one should have to play the victim just to point out that you’re completely lost when it comes to common sense.

No one should have to play the victim just so that they won’t have a label spewed at them when they don’t toe the line. Not the line of what’s right and wrong, but the line of what somebody wants. Throwing this shit around when you want to win an argument or score a social point is Very Bad Form.

...I get it. I just see no reason why I should hate myself in order to save myself, so that you won’t spit on me for pleasure.

--infra, at skin::filter